surcharge/precursor of INFLATION

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 17:44:14 -0600

<<And now you have stated the perfect reason behind INFLATION.  Everybody
feels victimized and so take it out on the next layer.
Is that what we want to perpetuate?

Bob Bergantino,RPT>>

I thought inflation was the result of excess paper money which devalues the
currency unit. What I stated was rising costs, which someone eventually has
to pay. With stuff we buy, we pay the extra cost. For example, if a widget
costs the mfg $1 to make as of today, but costs $1.25 to make tomorrow due
to fuel cost increase, the mfg will not absorb the cost, but will pass that
on to what is eventually the consumer. Unless I am badly mistaken, that is
not inflation. Similarly, if our costs go up, and our consumables we buy
cost more, can we give ourselves what amounts to a pay cut? The "rule" is
always that the consumer always pays. Another thing that might happen is
that S&H costs will increase. UPS does not give their services away, and
fuel is not free, so guess who will pay it? Not Schaff or Apsco, but you and
me. :-) Wish it didn't work that way, but as long as I'm wishing...I wish I
was a millionaire. :-)

I am no economist, but I do remember some of it from college. Maybe I am not
too far off. If so, I need to be corrected.

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS