surcharge

Roy Ulrich ulrich@rangenet.com
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 17:53:42 -0600

Whoa! 400 tunings a year with a net of $100 each after expenses? How is that
possible with the average tuning sliding in at around $70 or $80??

I probably didn't make my point well, which was simply that if one adds a
surcharge of 5 or 10 dollars per tuning because gas is up 20 cents a gallon,
there's no correlation with reality and when the customer does the math he
or she will be somewhat (or a lot) PO'd!

Additionally, it's a lot easier to "hide" some of the costs of doing
business in restorations - I know of no one in my 15 years at this that has
ever called around to get prices on making a new pinblock, or sandblasting
the plate etc. - They look at the total estimate only, and more often than
not I get the work because of my reputation, not by being the "lowest
bidder".

Also, I find that by keeping the tuning fee reasonable, I have the
opportunity to get in the door and find the instruments that need
restoration - And, if the customer feels that the tuning fee is fair it
logically follows that the cost of restoration would be in line as well.

Short story - a few years ago I decided to quit playing surgeon and go in to
have a plantar's wart removed at the local clinic. A prescription was
written that I had filled at a Target store (national chain of alledged
"discount stores") for $65. I called around and found that the pharmacy that
is part of the clinic was asking $170.00 for the same thing. They could get
it because the patients ASSUMED that the pharmacy was going to be as
reasonable as the doctor's fees. As it turns out, the doctors own the
pharmacy. That's gouging. I try to strike a happy medium and make a decent
living by offering an honest day's work for an honest day's pay - the point
was, 5-10 bucks surcharge because gas is up is unreasonable.

Looks like we're in for some of Kristenn's weather tonight....

Roy Ulrich
NE Minnesota