Should have gotten RCT (Was: Cross-eyed SAT user)

Robert Morss rdmorss@morssweb.com
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 09:11:23 -0500

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2000 7:44 AM
Subject: Re: Cross-eyed SAT user

> should have gotten RCT

I am not that familiar with RCT. I've visted Dean Reyburn's website to read
about it, but have not seen the software in action. What is it about the RCT
in particular that speaks to the SAT user's question about difficult
readings in the high treble?

I have been using TuneLab (with the Calcul8 plug-in) for several months now
and have been pleased with the results. In the high treble, the relevant
readout of the visual display occurs just after the attack, and lasts only a
short time (less than a second). I have found repeated striking of the note
(at the rate of about twice a second) gives me a "strobe light" effect on
the visual display, enabling me to obtain a better reading than from a
single isolated sounding of the note. SAT users can chime in as to whether
they have tried this technique.

Question for those who have used both TuneLab and RCT:
For the basic day-to-day routines of tuning and pitch raising, what features
does RCT have that TuneLab doesn't?

I understand that one big difference is that TuneLab does not calculate the
tuning curve automatically at the push of a button, whereas RCT does (using
one of the nine octave stretch buttons, right?) The Calcul8 plugin for
TuneLab addresses this, however.

Robert Morss RPT
Greenwich, Connecticut