Tight upright DC installations

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 19:40:39 -0600

Patrick,

<<I am interested in the list's wisdom regarding DC installations in
Yamaha U1s and Steinway uprights. Yamaha U1: the kick board is rather tight,
with insufficient space at  the top for the fill tube. What do you do? File
away some material with a rasp file or a drum sander? Recommendations from
those who do
a lot of these would be appreciated.>>

I don't know how much wisdom I have, but here goes. The U1 that I did had
this tight fit. What I did was to sand just up to the front of the corner of
the kneeboard. I used a handheld Makita sander to speed up the work. If you
remove the wood from the back side of the board, but not from the front, you
will have enough room for the tube to fit. The tube was being pinched, and
the wood sanded at a slant allowed for enough room. The modification was not
visible at all from the front, and the finish was left exactly as it had
come from the factory. Since I have only done one U1, others might be a
little different, but this worked for me.

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS