Erard 1824

Todd L. Mapes foxmeadow@freewwweb.com
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 06:00:19 -0600

List,

My neighbor has an 8'2" Erard grand, circa 1824 according to Pierce
Piano Atlas.  It is in fine condition, appears to be all original parts,
with the exception of recovered hammers and epoxied pinblock.  My
neighbor is wondering about the rarity of this instrument and the
potential value.  I looked on PianoMart and it seems to me there was an
1860 Erard at the asking price of $30,000.  My neighbor bought the
instrument from a family who had inherited it from family members
overseas (France, I think) and I don't believe he gave a whole lot of
money for it.  Anybody have any encounters with this kind of piano?
He's thinking of selling this piano in favor of a modern grand of
smaller stature (it overwhelms his living room).  Any clue what it would
be worth?  It's in excellent condition.

Todd L. Mapes
Associate Member
Fort Smith, AR