Keys

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 08:58:28 -0500

At 11:41 PM 03/10/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>>How can I see the difference between plastic and celluloid?
>
>Easiest way is by burning samples. The celluloid fireball will try to eat
you.

<
I don't think it is necessary to establish the type of non-ivory keytop
material
unless there is a fire concern :-)

>KeyTOPS, specifically naturals. There are, or have been, wood and bone
>keytops as well.

<
A microscope could tell you the surface architecture and then you can
determine
if it is ivory or bone. Not that it matters much except that it is
non-plastic.

>>What is celluloid made out of?
>>Matthew
>
>Cellulose nitrate, or gun cotton. It can be made by dipping cotton in (I
>think) a mixture of nitric and sulfuric acid. Or is it just nitric?
>
>BTW, how about disabling your ".vcf" attachments when you post to the list.
>I've currently got about 19 of them piled up on my drive and definitely
>know who you are by now.

<
I second that

Regards,