Automotive finishes

Tue, 14 Mar 2000 06:14:28 -0500

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000 21:37:14 -0800 robert goodale <rrg@nevada.edu>
writes:

> As I was working on this project today a thought occurred to me.
> What would it be like to apply an automotive finish to a piano?
> Polyester seems to be impractical for the small shop if you want
> a glossy finish, but a glossy automotive finish might be the
> ticket.  It would be harder than lacquer, more resistant to
> scratches, and have a poly-like appearance.  It would also be a
> more practical and workable material to spray in a small shop.
>
> Anybody ever experimented with this?  What do you think?
>
> Rob Goodale, RPT
> Las Vegas, NV

Hi Rob -

I haven't done this, per se, but I am wondering what is it about the
automotive finish that you think would make it a more practical and
workable material to spray in a small shop than the ones formulated for
wood?

It is my understanding that the finishes formulated for metal are now
flexible enough to withstand the swelling and shrinking of wood, so I
guess you could probably use them.  I still don't understand the
rationale, though.  If you are spraying, the same shop requirements would
hold for both.  The professional wood finishes of today are dust free
very quickly, can be sanded in about an hour, build quickly, and be as
hard as you want, almost bullet-proof with the use of cross-linkers.
There are many choices in urethanes, and much more durable lacquers are
available than the standard nitrocellulose.

Was there a particular automotive finish you had in mind?

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com