Lube Problems

BobDavis88@AOL.COM BobDavis88@AOL.COM
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 11:12:02 EST

Keith writes:

> For key bushings squeaks some contributors on Pianotech have highly
>  recommended polishing the key pins.

Regarding Joel Swafford's query, key bushings may drag but they don't often
squeak. Those that do are often at the balance rail, and often are due to
excess glue in the bushing at assembly, to which the pin wears through. That
is why they are often on the most doglegged keys, which wear more due to a
twisting motion, or on keys played most. If I suspect this condition, I
describe it to the customer, say that I am using Protek only for temporary
squeak reduction, and that the squeak will almost certainly return. The
customer then has a chance to adjust to the probability of the expense, and I
have a chance to plan for the work sequence better, benefitting us both.

Bob Davis