Tap & Die

robert goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 08:37:41 -0800

Roy Ulrich wrote:

> Does anyone know where I can find a tap and die set for making
> a new leg dowell and tapping a new thread in the cabinet of a
> melodian. (This is the same concept as the legs on square
> grands that screw into the underside of the base.)Thanks

Some Mason & Hamlin pianos have this type of arrangement too.
Once I rebuilt one with a very unique style case.  The round legs
had a hand artsy carved spiral pattern.  The bench legs were made
to match.  With a new board, bridges, and Renner action, it
turned out to be one of the greatest sounding pianos I have EVER
seen.  The sad part is that it belonged to a community college
vocal department.  A tragedy to see such a wonderful instrument
return to a hostile environment like that.  It deserved a caring
home.

The wood threaded dowels on these legs were pretty well chewed
up.  I repaired them using epoxy, (thermoset).  I filled in the
missing chewed up voids. I think it took several applications.
Then carefully used some files to carve out the threads to match
the original specifications.  It came out very nice and worked
perfectly.  Very strong too.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV