Baldwin Hamilton butts and backchecks

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 21:02:24 EST

In a message dated 3/16/00 6:37:24 PM Central Standard Time,
plumb@execulink.com (Paul Plumb) writes:

<< Dear List,

 Someone please tell me how you remove the uh "felt?", "cork", "hard
 covering",
 that is on the backchecks and butts in a Baldwin Hamilton.  They are
 producing a lot of extraneous noise as well as wearing the catcher felt
 badly. >>

Certainly, do read the material that has been written about this.  It is very
likely that you will encounter many more pianos with the same problem.  If
you can get the remedy down to a science, you can charge a nice fee for
really perking up a sick sounding piano.

By all means, remove the dampers and spring rail as other have suggested.
Yes, they are tedious to reinstall but there are only about 70 of them and
difficult as they are, they are easier than the hammers.  Attention should
also be paid to their alignment when reinstalled.  However, even if a damper
flange is found to be misaligned after the action is back in, it can be
corrected from the front without removing the action.  You can reach through
the hammers with a long screwdriver blade, loosen the flange screw just
slightly, with the same blade, pry against the flange to realign it, then
tighten the screw firmly.

Hot Animal Hide Glue, if you are set up for it and have experience is best
and will work fine but if not, I would like to suggest the latest in
adhesives:  our own Susan Kline RPT's truly marvelous discovery that white or
yellow (Carpenter's or Aliphatic Resin) glue work well in combination with
Cyanoacrylate (CA) [also known as "Super"] Glue.  Apply a thick viscosity
type CA glue sparingly but evenly to the wooden surface.  Then apply a very
thin but even coat of white or yellow glue to the new covering material.
Press the new material onto the wooden surface and hold for a few seconds.
It will take a set quickly but will take more time to cure.

It is very important not to get any CA glue on the butt felt.  If this
happens, it will harden it and there will be a resultant "click" that will be
just as bad or worse than what has already been happening.  I used to remove
and replace the butt felt too because I could not prevent this from
happening.   For the butt covering, get a bead of white or yellow glue into
the slot, then put a bead of CA glue on the covering.  The water based glue
will cause the CA glue to cure quickly as you insert the covering into the
slot.  Use the procedure described beforehand to fasten the other and of the
covering.

This is also an excellent opportunity to file the hammers and correct the
alignment.  You can do a good job of correcting the spacing even with the
action out of the piano.  Just go by the irregular spacing you see and the
grooves on the hammers.  A hammer which appers correctly spaced but has
grooves to one side needs travelling.  You will be able to spot the sideways
motion by moving a group of hammers together.  Get things evened out, then
file the hammers.

With the action in a cradle or simply by turning it upside down, you can
check for loose or tight pinning. Correct these as needed.  Same with the
wippens.  Be sure to tighten all flange screw firmly before reinstalling the
action.

Once reinstalled, you will probably need to do some capstan adjustment.  You
may well find hammers standing above the rail.  Adjust capstans appropriately
then check key level with a short straight edge to pick out any low or high
keys.  Correct those.  Now check and adjust the let off.  You may well need
to do some correction.  Aim for 1/8" from the string.  Now see what kind of
aftertouch you have.  If your dip is shallow or deep, there are adjustment
screws in the balance rail under certain sharps.  You will want to see the
jack just clearing the butt by about a millimeter.

Your backchecking should fall into place but if not, correct it.  Any back
checks that do not want to line up will signal you that you need to correct
the keydip individually for that note.  Following the procedure this way will
avoid wasted efforts.  Notice I did not say to "set the blow distance first"
the way most manuals say to do.  Notice that I did not say anything about the
blow distance.  Correct it only if you must have too deep of key dip in order
to have adequate aftertouch.  Your dampers should also fall right into the
correct lift if you do not try to change or change very little your blow
distance.  Adjusting a full set of spoons is the last thing you would want to
do and should not be necessary.

The action will feel like a brand new piano to you and the customer after
going through this routine. It is worth at least what a full day of tunings
are worth, if not more.

Good luck,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin