jig for Twisted-Key keytops

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 12:29:20 -0600

>What about setting the key on a slightly elevated position where the key
>forward end of the bottom rests on a rod or thin wooden riser (say 1/4" by
>1/4" cross section, and 1" long) that is oriented perpendicular to key
>length.

This, with 90° rotation, is how the Oslund key machines are set up. Index
is off of the bottom front, and the top about six inches back. The key is
laid in on it's side, levered against the front and rear stops and guided
through the cutter by the operator holding the back half of the key.

Indexing from the top of the key will prove to be a less than ideal method
on the first set you get which has loose or missing keytops, which will be
the second set you do after building the jigs, and three out of four of all
the sets you do for the rest of your life.

The only thing I hate worse than keytops is refinishing, or breaking by
foot, or redoing something, or dropping my bushing cloth in the glue pot,
or the flu. Well, ok, maybe it's not that bad.

Just  for the sake of argument, say you've perfected top removal. Now how
do you do the fronts?

Ron N