Market research

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 18 Mar 2000 20:09:24 EST

foxmeadow@freewwweb.com writes:

<< Statistic buffs,

 Can anyone tell me if there are statistics out "there" somewhere that
 would give a person a rough (real rough) idea of what percentage of
 households have a piano on average for the U.S. or maybe even regionally
 (may be asking way too much there).  I'm revising my business plan, and
 I'm trying to estimate the tuning market in my area.  If anybody has any
 leads to statistical data, or even a guess as to what the percentage
 might be I'm all ears. (Isn't that a good trait for a tuner?)

 Todd L. Mapes >>

A long time ago Kimball reported that the number of pianos in a given
geographical area would be about 19% of the population. This would include
pianos in homes, churches, schools, bars, hotels, etc.

It is also estimated that one piano tuner can make a living with about 2000
pianos in a customer file. This doesn't mean all 2000 get tuned twice a year,
but that 2000 pianos will keep a piano tuner busy, and with an adequate
income.

Therefore, using the above formula, there should be one piano tuner for every
10,000 people.

Now, maybe the percentage is lower than it used to be, but I would still
guess that one piano tuner should be able to make a living in an area of
about 15,000 people.

Wim