Interesting H.F.Miller Upright

PNOTNR@AOL.COM PNOTNR@AOL.COM
Sun, 19 Mar 2000 20:07:41 EST

List,

I'm hoping that someone on this list may have in their records the scaling
information for a 100 year old Henry F. Miller Upright.  I have one (1896,
ser.#24438) and the scale and speaking lengths are very strange.

I have Tremaine Parsons PSCALE program, and I'm confident that I'm using it
correctly.  I've had good success rescaling the bass but the treble section
speaking lengths are not working well.  I either get extreme inharmonosity
with medium tension, or I get normal inharmonosity range with extremely low
tension.

The top 8 unisons were strung with #11 1/2 wire, then 2 unison of #12.  This
piano has a full iron plate, and is one of the biggest uprights I've seen.

Another problem area is between notes D5 and D#5, (or notes 54 and 55) This
being the mid treble break.  Speaking lengths increase smoothly down from C8
down to D#5, at which point each half step down is 9 or 10 mm longer then the
previous note.  Suddenly the half step between D#5 and D5 is an increase of
46 mm, then the speaking lengths increase smoothly from there.

This piano is interesting in that it has a very ornate case, and has a neat
feature of the case being removable from the strung back as one unit.  Kind
of like removing a mask!

If anyone is interested, I can e-mail more information.  And if any of you
out there with the PSCALE program are interested, I can send the info so that
you can graphically see how bizarre the scaling of this instrument is.

Regards,

Gordon Large, RPT
Mt. Vernon, Maine