bounced check

Elian Degen J. degen@telcel.net.ve
Sun, 19 Mar 2000 20:17:15 -0400

List

First.
About bounced checks, as there are many causes for a check to bounce,  when
it happens (luckily very seldom due to bounced checks laws which are very
strict) I call the client and tell him " This is your piano tuner, sorry to
informe you that your check bounced" normaly the client appologizes and
takes my acc number to make a deposit.

I do have printed on my invoices that there is an extra fee for bounced
checks, but I never charge it, untill now all my customers are decent
enough, and I am almost sure the checks I have got have not been deliberate.
(Where I live, by law, if you suspect it was deliberate, you can go to a
"Public Notary" present the check, and the person who gave the check will be
prosecuted plus, he looses all credits and cannot open another account in
the Venezuelan banking system)

Second.

I also buy many things with a debit card. Banks here do not charge any
special fee, plus you even get discounts. But the reson is that I once had a
fraud on a major credit card, and even though the bank fixed everything, it
really was a grat headache. Now I opened a small account with a debit card,
and I just put enough money in it to cover for the aquisition. I use it for
internet and other things, one at a time. Never had a problem.

Elian