Nordiska

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 16:28:50 +0100

WELLL::::::...... as long as we are on about it... if you look in your
dictionary you will find that the spelling of both the words Tomatoe and Potatoe
are acceptable spellings. It is most usual to drop the "e" at the end of these
two words. The inclusion of the "e" comes from the old english spelling and
pronunciation (influenced by the nordic). In more complete dictionaries you will
find both spellings and actually the "e" is considered to be the "proper upper
class" (read snobish) spelling in many places of the english speaking world.

Don Guale... or whoever that guy was... grin.. came from a rather upper class
family, so this was a quite understandable spelling of the word. He was fully
correct in "adding" the "e" to the end and it was the bright eyed beavertailed
talking head reporters (probably of the same art whom falled Nixon) that were
wrong. Indeed it was thee that fools made of themselves.

grin

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.