Kawai Howard

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner@hotmail.com
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 20:46:59 PST

I've been taking care of one for about twenty years now, nice piano, no
loose pins.  Strangely enough just yesterday the man's wife told me it's
time for them to buy a "real Kawai", a 7', can I watch for one for them and
help them sell the Howard Kawai.
Diane

Friends,

I ran into a new one today.  Inside, the grand piano looked for all the
world like a Kawai, complete with the decal, emblem on the plate, plate
configuration, and it claimed to be a model 550-C, serial 557975.  On
the fallboard was written Howard (which I know is a Baldwin name) and in
the lower right corner "built specially for Baldwin by Kawai, Japan."
According to Pierce it was made in 1971.

So what do we have here?  Was it really built any differently for
Baldwin, or was just the name on the fallboard changed?  I never knew
Kawai ever built pianos for Baldwin.  BTW, it also had a serious loose
tuning pin problem in the bass and a few others here and there, if that
has anything to do with anything.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA, USA