grand lid hinge repair

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 15:15:17 -0500

At 12:28 PM 03/22/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>On a S&S B with the front lid hinge screws stripped out on the lid portion &
>the rear hinge intact I removed the lid, plugged the holes & reattached
>pinning the rear hinge first but found the repaired hinge did not line up
>properly.
>
>Are there any suggestions out there regarding alignment procedures?  I have
>to redo it soon.  Many thanks.
>
>Bruce

Remove the front lid hinge. With the rear hinge still pinned, close the lid
and
position it on the case left-to-right. Close the front lid to be sure the
brace
bar
does not hit the rim. Mark the location of the front barrel on the bottom of
the lid.

Remove lid and position lid hinge to index mark. Install only the single end
screw.
Replace the lid, insert the pins, raise the lid and center punch the
remaining
holes. Install screws but do not tighten fully. Replace the lid and pins,
tighten
remaining screws.

Works every time, unless you make an error :-)
Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net