key bushings

Stan Kroeker stan@pianoexperts.mb.ca
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 23:52:33 -0600

Yes, I use this method of removing key bushings, with the following differences:

The keys are clamped securely in a set of key clamps and stay there
until new bushings are installed.

I cut little wedges of thick upholstery felt which are stored in a
tupperware container filled with the wallpaper remover solution.  I
simply insert these wedges into each mortice and then add a few more
drops of solution to each wedge with a hypo oiler.

Wait at least half an hour before attempting to remove the soaked
bushings.  Maybe 50 percent of the time no additional steam is required.
 The exception is those stubborn balance rail bushings that are glued
under the button and seem to resist all attempts to get them out cleanly.

BTW...make sure you charge at least double for rebushing keys that were
previously bushed using plastic resin glue.  This stuff doesn't really
re-hydrate.  It simply softens to the consistancy of bubble gum only
after considerable heating and usually ends up pulling slivers of wood
out of the mortice.

Regards,

Stan Kroeker
Registered Piano Technician