Voice Chat

robert goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 21:57:07 -0800

Howdy doo...

I thought others might be interested in knowing that there is a
really cool new voice chat program available called FIRETALK.  It
is totally free and can be downloaded here:

http://www.firetalk.com/

I mention this because it might be fun to get together on this
program instead if the starlink chat.  Unlike many previous
marginal attempts at voice chat programs this one seems to have
worked out the bugs that have plagued similar programs for
years.  Anywhere from two people to hundreds of people can chat
in real time on the same channel.  Best of all it is truly
bi-directional at all times.  In other words you can talk and
here everyone at the same time like a true phone conversation.
Furthermore, it has a normal text chat window that can be brought
up if desired.  You can also send voice e-mail to other people
who have the program.  I just downloaded it and I am still
learning how it works but so far it seems to deliver everything
as promised.  It looks like this one could put long distance
phone companies out of business.

I heard about the program on "CHIP TALK", a daily two minute
computer commentary on the radio.  That page is here:
http://www.daveross.com/linkpage.htm

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV