installing spoons

Ron & Lorene Shiflet rshiflet@eaznet.com
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 12:15:09 -0700

    Does anyone have any suggestions for installing spoons.  I have an =
action with spoons that are too long.  I've pulled them out and =
shortened them but I have problems re-installing them =20
  a.. Pushing the spoons into the wood (as opposed to shortening them) =
isn't possible since the spoons are pressed so tight into the wood.
  b.. I've been pulling them out ok to shorten them but when I put them =
back in, they don't press down enough so when I push hard they don't go =
in far enough.  Then I've pushed them down with vice grips and the spoon =
cup bends over.  (doing this actually installs them about right but I =
have a ruined spoon cup.  When I straighten it back, the spoon cup has a =
dent and isn't smooth.  Obviously, this isn't going to work, but at this =
point, I can get away with only replacing about 7-8 spoons.
  c.. I've been told to bend the spoons one way and back again to =
shorten them.  Originally this idea seemed like a lot of trouble but I'm =
beginning to wonder if it will be shorter in the long run.

Ron  Shiflet