Shut my mouth

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 20:45:10 +0100

I am personally of the view that one should call a dead horse a dead horse.
Customers who dont want to hear this are customers I can ( and you can too...
grin) do without. That being said... there are ways of saying things and ways of
saying things.

First of all, its important to not either understate / nor overstate the
condition of the instrument. Second, its wise to start carefully.. to get a feel
for how the customer is going to take the bad news. If they are non receptive..
well you just find a tactfull way out of the situation and refer them to other
techs... hopefully they will sooner or later begin to understand. If they are
receptive well .... write out a death certificate if its called for.

By all means be honest, and dont hedge from attempting to impart as much
truthfull information as the customer is able to take on. Most, quite frankly,
are pretty reasonable about this kinda thing.. especially when you can factually
point out problems and deficiencies. Dont run away from this kinda thing.
Instead build up your "diplomatic" skills in this regard. In the long run you
will find this both profitable for yourself, and most helpfull to your
customers.

One thing to remember in all this. Sooner or later a customer is going to
realize that their piano is in deep trouble.. or outright dead... ... just what
do you think they are going to think of you if you were one of those who brushed
off informing them... took your 75 - 100 dollars for a tooning and left them to
figure it out on your own ??

Be honest... painfully so if need be.. grin.

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.