A question of liability

Sat, 25 Mar 2000 07:07:22 -0500

There's a first time for everything....

I have a customer with a 100 yr old full size upright that has a lot of
very loose pins in the center section, so on Thursday of this past week I
rolled the piano away from the wall, put it on its back on the tilting
truck, applied CA, tipped it back up, and stopped back after 4 other
tunings to tune the treated section.  It was perfect, and the customer
couldn't have been happier.

Then yesterday I get a call that her husband is pretty upset that the
piano left "dents" in the floor where I moved it out.  Not caused by my
tilting truck... it seems it was the piano casters.  She didn't think it
amounted to much, but asked me to stop by on my next visit to the area to
see what I could do.

My question is this:  to what degree am I liable if it was caused by
their piano and their casters, and all I did was roll it out from the
wall.  She claims it is not a marring of the finish, but a denting of the
wood that the husband is unhappy about.

I have liability insurance, but wanted some input from the group as to
whether any of you has been in this situation before.

Thanks

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com