Balwin 6'3"

Richard Oliver Snelson rsnelson@dave-world.net
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 07:48:55 -0600

Since I still need some advice on repairing a Balwin plate. I'll try to
be more specific with my request for help from the list. I do thank the
one response I got about the fact that the break was not my fault. It
was however partly my fault.

Here's the question:
Does anyone have direct experience with Lock-N-Stitch repair?

Who are the experts on plate welding repairs?

I add as a side note what I have learned from this expensive lesson:
Before bringing another piano to pitch especially one that has been
stored for a long time. Check all nosebolt position and seating. Check
all plate bolts for snugness. Also snug down the pin block screws. As I
mentioned in a previous email the nose bolt on the strut that broke had
stripped out all threads and was doing nothing.

Piano is a 1920-30's, was a player,  Balwin 6'3".  Has been on it's side
in a storage area, no heat,damp, in Rogersville, MO. When I had it
cleaned up and started to tune it was about 100 cents low.

At 30 cents low a plate strut cracked. The crack is 1" from the Y
junction , between base section and treble, in the member on the treble
side. It cracked from the top and the crack is about 3/4 of the way down
the member. God! What a terrible sound! What a worse feeling!

Other information about the Balwin.  Nice strings, no rust, pins were
holding, sound board very nice, case fair condition with new finish done
in the 70's. Keys nice, action only fair. New hammers.

With that where do I go from here?

I've dropped the tension and went in the house for a shot of Jack
Daniels.

Is it worth the effort to try and fix?
Should I loosen plate screws and nose bolts? To check for case warpage
and plate seating before trying a repair?

Help!
Richard O. Snelson
Associate Member PTG