A question of liability -Thanks

Ward & Probst wardprobst@cst.net
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 06:15:20 -0600

Mark,

I installed and maintained hardwood floors before becoming a piano
technician. I would recommend you contact your agent, have an estimate made
by a professional, and let the insurance handle it. If you refund, you are
out both your fee and insurance premium. If it was a pine or other soft
floor, it is possible that the marks were made by the tilter in the process
of tilting. It is also possible the damage is minor finish damage(especially
if it is poly type finish).  Normally this type of damage is repairable
without refinishing an entire area. In any case, your insurance carrier
should do whatever they have to do to make your customer happy. From what
you describe below, I doubt the piano could have been moved without damaging
the floor, even if you had a helper. This is an excellent opportunity to
find out  if your insurance company provides the coverage you are paying
for.
Best,
Dale
Dale Probst, RPT