Another instance was Re: A question of liability -Thanks

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 10:47:49 EST

In a message dated 3/26/00 1:21:12 PM !!!First Boot!!!, kam544@flash.net
writes:

<< I wouldn't allow an assumption you are at fault in this matter
 to be the initial issue.  It seems to me that the first order of business
 would be to visit the site and examine the reported marks in the floor as
 requested by the customer with the same prudence you have demonstrated thus
 far. >>

About 15 years a go my son and I picked up a Steinway grand for rebuilding
from a customer who had a wooden floor. A day later he called and told me the
casters on my dolly created long grooves along his entire living room. I
couldn't believe it, because my dolly has rubber wheels. But I went a looked
at the floor, and sure enough, on the entire length of the floor there were
long grooves.

But as I looked a little closer, I found a few things that puzzled me. First,
the grooves didn't start at the point from where I moved the piano. They
started about 5 feet from there. Then I noticed that there were two groves,
and they didn't go in a straight line. When I moved the piano, the dolly went
at kind of an angle, which would have created four grooves. The I noticed the
grooves were not in the same line I remembered going when I took the piano
out. I also could see that the distance between the two grooves were a little
narrower that I thought my dolly's wheels were. So I got my dolly out of the
van, and tried to get the wheels of the dolly to go in the groves on the
floor.

Guess what. They didn't match. It wasn't my dolly that caused the grooves. I
don't what caused those grooves, but the customer quickly dropped his demands
I pay for a new floor.

There were other major problems later on with this customers, which caused me
to change some of my policies to protect myself, but I won't bore you with
those details.

Willem