Action Noise

Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 18:18:25 -0700

Hi, Tim, whichever Tim you may be...
	The where and the when of the clicks and pops will of course help you
decide where to spend your time and energy. The age of the piano and it's
locale are factors, also.

 Question: where did you lube?

	I've found that Baldwins like to hide a couple of their noises in odd
places. Be sure to add these to your extensive checklist:
	~The let-off regulating button holder rails can be loose on the bottom of
the hammer rail.
	~The jack-in-the-window regulating felt may be hard, and need needling or
replacement. (is there lots of noise when you let a bunch of keys up at once?)
	~The new grands have a very nice keyframe bedding system. Use it sparingly.
	~Center pins (hammer flange). Major loss of tone AND a click if one is loose.

AND, of course, all the other standard stuff, like loose screws, rails,
hammer heads, etc.

If it's one that I've serviced, be sure to look for broken needles in the
hammers. (use the una corda pedal to check) %^)

Have fun. Sell the customer a voicing, most of those Ls can really really
open up in the upper bass and low tenor. The new ones with Renner Blues can
be very well balanced with a little extra tweaking.

Regards,
Guy Nichols, RPT

At 01:24 PM 3/26/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello List,
>I would appreciate any information any one could share in regarding
>noisy grand actions.
>
>IM currently working on a Baldwin model "L" that has some clicks & pops
>on several keys.  I have tried Protek & TF50 Dry Lube on different keys with
>some satisfaction.  Any advice would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Tim

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." - John Lennon