too much "pounding!"

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 22:36:56 -0600

Terry,

<<Any suggestions as to how to lessen the stress on our "pounding" fingers?
use my left index & thumb for loud striking, and I am losing the feeling in
the tips as they are becoming continually numb!>>

My suggestion is so simple--don't pound so hard. :-) Really, it is not that
necessary for the majority of the work we do. As long as you strike the key
harder than it will be played, it will be fine. I suspect that having the
piano at pitch before fine tuning and having a good lever technique is
superior to pounding. What do I know, though? I'm just an intermediate. ;-)

<<There is a Steinway tech on the floor where I work, who came over and
demonstrated how a perfect unison will not stand unless you BANG the key
HARD, many times, almost to the point of breaking the hammer shank! What's
up with that? Is that what we want to do?>>

If you do this too much, your ears will be worn out by the time you get
really good. The way I look at it--why put that kind of stress on your ears
and all the piano parts? The key is to have good lever technique. I usually
do a moderately hard test blow--maybe two depending on the instrument. It
varies according to the piano. You live in CA, right? I think there is a
Norm Neblett who lives in CA that gave a mini technical on unison tuning at
the 1999 convention. His lever technique is what I use. You may already be
using that, though. It is very good. If you are successful with this
technique, there is less need to pound.

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS