When will it end?

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 23:14:33 -0600

>...If there is anyone out there who can tell me
>they hear a difference between an orchestra
>at 440 or 444, please tell me what you are hearing...
>Rook

It's very simple actually.

An analogy is wearing the same pair of shoes year in and year out, then
putting on a new pair of shoes that adds an additional 1/2" to 1" in
height.  That's not a whole lot when compared to one's height, but is still
quite noticable when first experienced.  The world suddenly takes takes on
a whole new perspective.

Likewise, A440 is the traditional given norm, A444 becomes the added
dimension.  That's 16 cents difference!  Just 35 cents shy from crossing
over into the domain of A#.

There are musical groups that intentionally tune to different pitches when
presenting their material because it assists in the effect of sounding
different from the norm, even when the same chord structures might be used.
There is definite deception going on when listening to some musical pieces,
but nonetheless, it is a garnish that can attracts one's attention without
specific knowledge of why.

Consider the brilliant deception going on when tuning a piano.  One note is
tuned to its true pitch value, and meanwhile, all the rest are altered by
stretching in some manner to give the overall impression of the whole
instrument being in tune.

It works!

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician