When will it end?

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 16:11:25 +0200

I am not really sure about the leanings of violin players, but I dont necessarilly
see that what you state is contrary to an overall movement towards faster beating
intervals.... ie tenser music... or brighter sound. Could be that violin players do
as you say.. but perhaps less then they did 50 years ago.

I aggree that it is difficult to sense this difference in brightness directly. It is
perhaps necessary to hear the same piece played at the two different pitches one
right after another for one to be able to develope this sense in a direct way. Still,
there are other forces at work then that of direct sensation.

I ran across an interesting article written by a psychologist / social anthropologist
some years back that dealt with this exact subject matter. He correlated the general
raise of concert pitch throughout the years in western music to things like the
increase in stress the modern world presents us. I cant remember much of it but it
was an interesting enough take.

Lots of this kind of thing touch on the subconcious. Personally I think its all a big
pain in the patootey. Lets all settle on 440 and be done with it. Perhaps we should
start feeding these speed freaks a bit of Valium or something... grin.

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.