21st century tonality

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 10:05:38 EST

 I said:
>    but without the use of modern technology, I see little
>hope for a widespread revival of *tonality*.">>

And Jim asks:
> How about defining "tonality" in your usage here, heah?

  Gee,  such a simple question, which calls for an endless answer!

     Tonality is the organization of musical tension. In the well
temperaments of the past, the organization has aligned itself with respect to
its distance from the key of C, via fifths.

   It is the appreciation for the interplay of consonance and dissonance that
occurs between keys in a well tempered tuning.  Tonality is also a direction.
 It can be felt when there are various levels of tempering in like intervals
of an octave.   It creates a sensual response in the sensitive listener by
varying the tempering, and it has been well documented that people respond
differently to highly tempered intervals than they do to Just intervals.
Movement along this direction, in either direction, creates a variety in the
musical texture, or levels of dissonance.  Tonality allows movement between
keys to increase or decrease the musical tension that  results from
dissonance.
Others?
REgards,
Ed Foote