Steinway Drinking

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 18:13:41 EST

In a message dated 3/27/00 4:49:00 PM Pacific Standard Time,
rchayden2@juno.com writes:

<< A touch up man poured mineral spirits into a newly acquired 1924 Steinway
 M.  About a cup's worth poured into the mid section and treble of the
 tuning pins (original block) and cascaded into the action, soaking tuning
 pins, hammer flanges, whippens and flanges, key bushings, and hitting a
 few hammers.   The action seemed to retain it, since there was none on
 the keybed.

 So what can I expect this stuff to do?

 It happened about 1:00 PM.  Torque on the tuning pins seems down a
 little.  This piano always held its tune well.

 I check affected flanges, BOY are they FREE??!!  They flop without a
 screw in the hole.  Hammers swing almost perpetually.

 The man has good liability and we're getting in contact, but I'd like to
 here from those who know what the effects these chemicals will ultimately
 have.

 Any takers??   (I'm still working on the cracked Hazelton frame.)

 Roger Hayden RPT >>

My take on an accident is this. A piano was in a certain condition before an
"accident." Insurance should pay to put a piano back to the condition before
the accident. If the piano needs work that would necessitate that parts have
to be replaced, then that should be covered under the insurance.

In this particular incident, hammers swinging freely, pin torque a little
different, are all things that were caused by the "accident." If you, as a
technician, feel that parts should be replaced, including a pin block, then
that is what you should recommend if you think you can "fix" the problems,
then report that. But under no circumstance should you accept an insurance
claim that the piano will "get by" with anything less.

Willem