pianotech-digest V2000 #294--When will it end?

JStan40@AOL.COM JStan40@AOL.COM
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 18:18:28 EST

In a message dated 03/29/2000 1:31:06 AM Central Standard Time,
owner-pianotech-digest@ptg.org writes:

<< Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 23:12:15 -0500
 From: "Phil Bondi" <tito@PhilBondi.com>
 Subject: When will it end?

 Today - tonight, I prepared the Steinway for the Vienna Radio Symphony - If
they
 pass through your town, do yourself a favor and go see them - good, young
 players - the conductor does a great job..

 anyway, I prepared the Steinway at A=442, as required in their rider, and I
was
 also instructed to be on stand-by for the performance - lucky me - I got to
hear
 a good symphony orchestra..

 But - as the piano player told me - the orchestra is 'compromising' also -
they
 normally tune to A=444.

 If there is anyone out there who can tell me they hear a difference between
an
 orchestra at 440 or 444, please tell me what you are hearing - I can buy into
 that String players tend to play sharper in the upper registers - that I will
 buy - but to hear a real difference in tonality, or emotion? - I don't get
it or
 hear it.

 When will it end?

 Rook

Dear List,

For many years I played in a festival orchestra with a concert master from
Vienna.  He spoke of the steady climb in pitch levels in Europe, and that
A444 was hardly the end of it--A446 exists in some places.  He was not at all
in favor of it, though he did give the string players' explanation.  It isn't
so much the color of the pitch that they were after, it was the perceived
"brightness" or "brilliance" of the stringed instruments, which is noticeably
different at higher pitch levels, owing to the increased tension on the
strings.  His objections were strictly practical--that over time at that
level, the wood of the violin would take a "set," so to speak, and eventually
deaden, refusing to respond with the "brilliance" desired.  The response?
Raise it higher, which then works for a time until the whole process would
start over.  End result?  Possibly a very expensive implosion of the
instrument!  Or players refusing eventually to use their good instruments in
the orchestra, and degrading the sound further for THAT  reason.  His
solution was to go back to either A440 or A442, since that seems prevalent,
at least in the States, and just let the instruments settle back to that
pitch level, then deal with the sound desired in other, less drastic ways.

As a bass trombone player, I was always at the limit--no tuning slide left to
adjust, but I never had to play higher, which was a blessing.

No answers, Phil, just a player's perspective.

Stan Ryberg
Barrington IL