Smart(?) Bars?

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 12:26:27 -0500

Hi Patrick,

It might sound silly, but what water did you use to fill the system with,
and did you use a bit of the water treatment that comes with the system?  I
believe that the system needs some of the minerals found in normal tap water
in order to have the sensors function properly.  (I thought I read that the
water treatment we put in does the same thing.)  The sensors work by
detecting the pad / water conducting a bit of electricity.  Pure water isn't
a very good conductor, or so I'm told.

The other thing to check is whether the "smart bar" was installed with the
two 'wires' going across the top of the bar.  They should be mounted so that
they are both as close to the top of the bar as possible, probably in about
the 10:00 and 2:00 positions.  (It's not really critical, they just need to
make good contact with the pad.)

If the pads are saturated with water, and the sensing wires are positioned
properly, I'm not sure what else to suggest.

Good luck,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net