ETD as crutch: grrr (practical advice)

BobDavis88@AOL.COM BobDavis88@AOL.COM
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 13:57:07 EST

Awright, awright, if I'm going to grumble, I'd better offer some practical
advice, so here I am responding to my own mail (talking to myself again...).

Anyway, rather than debate whether an ETD extracts vital bodily essence when
used by a beginner, here are four VERY practical examples of its use to speed
progress in basic skills, all of which take longer to describe than to do. In
none of these exercises does calculation within the box take precedence over
your aural judgment - it is used to see if you are doing what you mean to do.

1. Use it check your tuning lever technique
2. Use it to check your ability to set A4 to 440 Hz.
3. Use it to check octave width preference and repeatability
4. Use it to check your ability to set contiguous 3rds

Specific instructions. Use a good piano, not too old, so the strings will
render:
1. Block off one string of a unison. Whack until stable. Zero the ETD to one
string of the two remaining. Detune the other by no more than a beat or two.
Close your eyes, or if you are feeling morally weak, turn the ETD away.
Retune that string aurally with soft blows, until your ear tells you the
unison is right. Turn the ETD around, block off the reference string, play
the test string, and hope the display is not moving. Now whack the note, and
see if it holds up. If it doesn't, your lever technique could use work.

Retune the same string aurally, then push the pitch up and down VERY gently
(not trying to turn the pin) while watching the display. Does it appear to be
as easy to "bend" the pitch the same amount up as down? While a hard blow
might be necessary for bridge rendering during a large pitch change, once a
string is at pitch and rendered through the bridge pins, change of a few
cents will not cause movement through the bridge, and a test blow should be
just that. Actual tuning can be done with lever technique. I have found that
leaving neither upward nor downward bias on the string produces the most
resistance to pitch change due to both heavy playing and humidity change. I
don't pound. I recently tuned a pair of pianos used (beaten) all day for a
concerto competition. I checked them at the end of the first day, and touched
up only three barely rolling unisons between the two.

2. Tune A4 to the fork, aurally. Check it aurally by comparing F2/fork to
F2/A4. Zero the ETD to the fork, then measure the string. Write down the
difference, whack the key, measure again. Detune the note (if necessary!),
and try it 5 more times. (Do it on several occasions with differing
temperatures and see how much your fork drifts).

3. Octaves: Make sure A4 is stable. Tune A3 to it purely by sound, without
checks. Use aural tests to determine what kind of octave you tuned (2:1, 4:2,
6:3...). It's likely to be between 4:2 and 6:3. If you are not comfortable
with this terminology or concept, your aural tuning can not be fully refined.
Then use the ETD to measure more exactly what you have done, by setting it on
the coincident partial and measuring the difference between A3 and A4. For
instance, for a 6:3 octave, set the tuner on E6, the 3rd partial of A4 (and
6th partial of A3). Play A3 and zero the tuner. Play A4. Measure how much the
difference is. You can check the 4:2 similarly by setting the ETD at A5 and
measuring the difference between A3 and A4. Often this octave will wind up
about 0.6 cents wide of a 4:2 and a few tenths shy of a 6:3.

4. Measuring the width of contiguous thirds: Having set your A4-A3 octave,
add in F3, F4, and C#4 until each 3rd beats 5 times in the space of time that
the contiguous 3rd below it beats 4 times. Now measure the width of the 3rds
visually to see how you did. For instance, F3 and A3 coincide 5:4 at A5.
Harmonic series of F3: F3-F4-C5-F5- >A5< (5th partial)
Harmonic series of A3: A3-A4-E5- >A5<  (4th partial)
Set the tuner to the coincident partial A5. play F3 and zero (reset the pitch
of) the tuner. Play A3 and measure. It should be about 13.6 cents higher.
Measure the other thirds the same way. The figure won't necessarily be 13.6,
but they should all be the same. In actual tuning there may be some
adjustment needed because of the differing inharmonicity/stretch of the
octaves, but I had to say "beyond the scope of this answer" at least once. At
least I didn't use the word "paradigm."

There are lots more exercises, but most of them are extensions of these. For
instance, it is entertaining to stack up three [contiguous] octaves and
measure how the partials relate at various coincidences, and how much you
have to do aurally to three likable octaves in order to make a likable double
and triple octave.

All good tuners tune aurally, whether or not they use a box. However, the box
can be used by tuners of any level to measure whether our intent is matched
by our execution, to save the ear for fine work, and to refine and speed
aural decisions. I've been tuning for thirty years and I'm still learning.

Keep on pitchin',
Bob Davis