Temperature Change affecting pitch

John R Fortiner pianoserv440@juno.com
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 15:23:23 -0700

I don't know this for fact, but the odds are that cast iron doesn't
expand or contract at the same rate that piano wire does.  If piano wire
is "more active" with thermal changes that would explain, at least in
part, why the piano may go sharp with AC.  Reasoning:  Both metals
contract, but the piano wire is contracting at a greater rate of "x"
therefore its tension is increasing - causing a raise in pitch.  All of
this, as I stated above is assuming that the two metals do not expand or
contract at the same rate.

John R. Fortiner
Billings, MT.

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!