Jumpy strings?

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 16:39:10 -0600

Hi Greg,
             A Susan Kline trick that may work, Drop one side of the string
about a semi tone.
Pull the other side of the string up to pitch, Press down on this string
and pull it back up to pitch again, tune the unison. This will give you
fresh clean wire at the bearing point to evaluate the situation.
You are probably experiencing a combination of worn pressure point and
deformed wire, This greatly increases the friction.
Another trick is to take a broad blunt screw driver and pop the string left
and right at the bearing points, you will find that a lot of the unwanted
noise will disappear, as well as making the string easier to render.  This
will just polish out the grooves a little.
Roger

At 03:50 PM 30/03/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Richard,
>    You may not have caught some of the previous posts on this subject. The
>problem is throughout the piano, not just one string.
>Greg
>
>Richard Brekne wrote:
>
>> Change the string.. clean up the termination point, and apply proteck
>> moderatly. Should do the trick.
>>
>> Greg Newell wrote:
>>
>> > Hi again,
>> >     Have any of you ever run into jumpy string? I've been tuning a
>> > Steinway B in a music school for quite a few years now and it's finally
>> > getting to the point where it's almost impossible to tune. Much of this
>> > depends on my mood too as to whether or not I want to screw with it.
>> > Just like jumpy pins you are nearing the point where you want the string
>> > and it jumpy too high or too low. The pin does, however, turn smoothly.
>> > I've tried teflon powder on the understring felt and other lubes at the
>> > agraffe to no avail. The feedback I get from my trusty rosewood tuning
>> > hammer says that the problem is near me not at the other end of the
>> > string. I hear something like ticks with the pitch rising if you can
>> > imagine that. Any ideas? I'm thinking restringing here if the school can
>> > get a grant for the money. I'm fairly sure that would cure the problem,
>> > I'd just like to understand it a little better. Feel free to share any
>> > insights, s.w.a.g. 's or the like.
>> >         Greg Newell
>>
>> --
>> Richard Brekne