Pure Tone Strings

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 20:45:57 +0200

Newton Hunt wrote:

> Inharmonicity is a function of the stiffness of the wire which is a
> function of length and tension.  A change in wire formulation will
> not have an appreciable effect on Inh.  It may be measurable but no
> one could hear the difference.

Hmm... he said it was quite an appreciable notice. For what it is worth,
tho I am not clear on how these things fit together (if at all) yet.. He
gives  the following. E-modulus  close to190 kN/mm2, and an Average
density figure of 7.90

> Tone duration is a function of the spring quality of the string.
> Lowering the tensile strength of the wire can effect sustain.
> Since many pianos have breaking percentage in the 60 to 70% range
> in the treble any appreciable lowering of strength will increase
> breakage likelihood.

He says his stuff is just about 8% lower in tensile strength then modern
wire. He states that it will hold up to just about any modern scale. I
got a whole chart of figures for each gauge which gives Yield points and
Breaking points numbers. Obviously (grin I think anyways) Using this
wire for designing a new scale on a piano would require a different
scaleing program (because of the wire characteristics) Any idea where to
get ahold of something like this ? or how to construct a crude one
myself ??

> We would not use antique style wire to string a modern piano.  The
> reverse is done, out of ignorance of wire quality, but the tone
> does change in this instance because the tensile strength is
> substantially lower.

I understand this much at least...grin.

--
Richard Brekne