False Beats

Sun, 03 Sep 2000 12:38:12 +0200

Ron

Ok... so I have been digging in the archives and old reprints of Journal
articles and come up with the following.... This particular kind of false
beating comes from the fact that the Bridge pins are able to vibrate
somewhat freely inside the wood of the Bridge, and it doesnt seem like
there needs to be a great deal of "looseness" to get this kind of false
beating started. ("Bridge Pin" and "False Beats" got a lot of hits on the
archives btw)

It also seems like its almost impossible to avoid as it would require a
perfect fit all along the length of the bridge pin in the bridge wood, and
this fit (if it can be so acurately bored and pinned to begin with) is
going to be wrecked sooner or later by variance in climate through the
years, the sideways stress on the pin, and a few other factors.

Adding CA or epoxy would seem to help to begin with, if done well, but I
suppose in the end climate concerns would wreck this fit as well. As to re
pinning with next size up pins. I am wondering if heating the hole so that
the pin just fits in with an easy tap would be an idea ?? That way when the
would cools down again it would expand around the pin and make a real tight
fit ????

All this brings me back to the old... sheeshh... there has got to be a
better way.. grin... One other question I am not clear on. Is it then
necessary for the strings energy to be transmited deeply with in the bridge
via some kind of insert (like the bridge pin) or could that be accomplished
just as well by contriving some way of keeping the string "pressed" firmly
onto the top of the bridge alone ?? (just musing a bit there..)

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.