just my 2 cents of absolute/perfect/whatever

Wed, 06 Sep 2000 09:06:33 +0200

I keep hearing a sort of "qualifying" to this term Perfect pitch.. folks more or
less that  perfect perfect pitch doesnt really exist.. and I of course have to
aggree, if for no other reason then such perfectness simply doesnt correspond to
anything in the real world. You would run into all kinds of problems right off
the bat in the attempt to claim that such a thing could exist... for example,
what temperament is then the "perfect" one.  Grin.. I'll bet this'd stir the HT/
ET discussion a bit. Who knows... the perfect perfect pitch might even be "just"
oriented.

When I hear references to "this guy can hear the difference between a441 and
a442" I think ok... but what so ?? What about the rest of the notes then ? As far
as I know, no one has really been able to come close (close enough to be
acceptable by decerning ears musically)  to being able to determine an ET tuning
(no matter what tool for measuring has been used) by ear alone. Further I know of
no attempt to discover if folks who have some ability which is very close to
perfect perfect pitch have any particular orientation to this ability.. ie just
intervals, et intervals or whathaveyou.  This last might be really interesting to
find out.

Ah...well... back to the real world... I'm off then. "See" you all in a few days.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.