Pinblock Repair/Drill Press

Tue, 19 Sep 2000 09:03:01 -0500

Terry,
At 08:55 09/19/2000 -0400, you wrote:

>My
>intention is to dilignite-plug the block and drill for new pins

I did just that to the one here back in '86.

>appears to be in relatively good shape). Use 2/0 with no bushings?

I reused the original pins, sizes 1/00, 2/00 and 4/00.  If it didn't have
bushings originally, why add them?  This one holds at A440 quite nicely w/o
bushings.  Check the archives

>  What kind of drill press setups has worked for any of you for this
>task?

I used a cheap table model with a head which was adjustable up and down the
shaft, spun it around to the back, put counterbalance weights on base and
went to it.

You may want to beg, borrow or steal a radial arm drill press.

JIMRPT said:
>  I have never tried Delignite plugs so I could be wayyyy off base here
> but if
>the old pinblock is as you say "in pretty good shape" why not just use a
>larger pin, or 'normal' pinblock plugs?
>My thought.
>Jim Bryant (FL)

The pinblock in the one here was single ply (i.e. solid), and had one split
already.  Driving wedges (oversize pins) into a _very_ dry plank didn't
appeal to me at the time.  Check out the condition/construction of your
pinplank VERY carefully before you decide.

Mileage variability inevitable.

Conrad

©Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician -mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College, 700 College Drive, Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
Voice-(319)-387-1204  //  Fax (319)-387-1076(Dept.office)

Si fractum non sit, noli id refirece.