the word "harp"

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 22:10:49 -0500

On 7/31/01 3:23 PM, "John Ross" <piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Hi Clyde,
> It is in Merle Mason's book, ll 7, with reference to the end view of a
> vertical piano.
> Regards,
> John M. Ross
> Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada

Hmmm,

I have heard the term harp used to refer to the strung back of vertical
pianos, that is, the plate/pinblock/strings/bridges/soundboard/back post
assembly. The same assembly wouldn't separate out quite so neatly on a
grand, but I've still heard the term harp used to mean the whole assembly
that holds the strings, even in a grand.

This might even have come out of my own mouth a few times.  :)

Given the discussion, I may reconsider, but still, the term harp sort of
makes sense this way.

Kent Swafford