Cost of Fear(was prices)

Dale Probst wardprobst@cst.net
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 22:08:49 -0500

Scott & List,

Okay, not trying to persecute you here but your argument seems to me to
a more powerful reason to charge a substantial fee. If we are only
called in emergencies (the proverbial sticking key) we should charge
accordingly. While we don't do it in our business, some do discount
their fee for regular customers. For very regular customers where we
have extra time because the tuning goes quickly, we include additional
services for the regular fee up to the point in time we booked for the
tuning/service call.

When someone calls us, they have been referred by another customer. We
tell them our basic fee for tuning is $XX for a piano that has been
maintained regularly, close to pitch (within 10 cents +/-)and not
needing cleaning, repair, regulation or voicing. Additional service
require additional fees as with any other profit based business.  In
other words, you get what you pay for. If you only call every ten years
or when a key sticks we are happy to oblige if we can schedule it but
never expect to pay the same price that our regular customers pay. It
would not be fair to our regular customers or to ourselves to do it any
differently. If the caller doesn't _need_ quality piano service we have
served him well by giving him the precise economic reason to decline our
offer of that service and saved ourselves the misery of working for
someone who really didn't want to hire us.

The signs of under pricing are the ones Ed Foote mentioned: few
complaints about your prices, more work than you can do working a
regular 40 hour week, always rushing to finish something quickly so you
can make a small profit instead of spending the time it takes to do the
best work you can at the fairest price you can obtain. I know this
because I have been in that position and stayed there for 10 years. I
was concerned about harming the relationships I had built with
customers. When I began on the long road to fair pricing (I don't
consider that I am there yet) I learned that the old truth, a workman is
worthy of his hire still applies today.

Best,
Dale
Dale Probst, RPT