Reshaping VS new hammers - Condition etc

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 10:58:38 -0500

>...I like the action the way it is and was afraid
>that reshaping would negatively impact the action dynamics....Reshaping &
>Regulating was quoted at about 2K, this seems like a lot however
>I realize the process is (when done correctly) time consuming.
>Bob Luderer

Bob, List,

If you like the action the way it is with the current hammers, the last
thing you want someone to do is regulate it *and* pay money to boot.  The
action will never be the same again, and what you currently like can't be
recaptured once it's changed.  Consider carefully letting someone alter
what you already like.

Properly reshaping hammers to obtain a voicing change will not affect the
action dynamics any significant degree.  However, it will affect how you
perceive these dynamics to be due to the difference in the voicing change
reshaping brings about.

A little reshaping and voicing done by the right person can produce
remarkable changes with hammers that still have some life in them.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Piano Technicians Guild