Pricing: was Reshaping VS new hammers

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Thu, 02 Aug 2001 10:11:29 -0500

>Am I wrong or is this getting under your skin just a bit.  Clearly, this is
>complicated discussion to do it real justice.

Hi David, Gina, etc,
Nope, no problem here. The processes outlined by both of you are, nearly as
I can tell, what we all do when we're trying to set, raise, or justify our
prices. Seems to me that the guy charging 2K to shape hammers and regulate
is doing precisely the same thing. Sure I think he charges too much too,
but that's by the local standards of my market. His will be different. His
market will decide whether he's charging what he's worth, or overcharging -
not us. I also agree that most techs probably don't charge enough for what
they do. Someone is charging less than the market will bear, and the
discussions begin. This guy's missing opportunities. Then someone else
charges much more for something and another set of discussions begin, only
this round, the guy's making too much of his opportunities and
overcharging. Both of these situations are judged against the local markets
of the individual posters without qualifying the assessments against the
local market of the "discussee". The guy may have been charging these high
prices for thirty years, have people flocking to his door, and might even
be a real irritant to the other techs in the area because he's lowballing
them so badly.

So what makes this high priced tech the bad guy if he's successfully doing
business this way? Does he do good work, or is he a butcher? We don't know,
because all we have to go on is a reported price of one service job.

Ron N