Yellow vertical key fronts

Mikito HAYASHI mickey_hayashi@geocities.co.jp
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 22:51:45 +0900

Hey, ask me! I happen to be living in the "gray market"!

> I have seen a few Yamaha pianos recently with yellow vertical key fronts
but with white tops!  Does anyone know how this could be or have a remedy
for same?

> John Lillico, RPT
> Oakville, ON  Canada

It is said that is because of the misfit of the glue and the key front. A
kind of a chemical reaction. Obviously it was white originally, but has been
getting "yellow".
(Why the keytop doesn't change? Because the material is different. The
acrylic for the top, the "ABS" for the front.)
I think it is common especially on Yamaha's verticals made around mid 1970s
to early  80s.  But I guess they've solved.

Replacing is the only remedy. Some Japanese rebuilders often paint with the
white lacquer, but it doesn't stand long.

Mickey Hayashi
Tokyo, Japan