Pricing: was Reshaping VS new hammers

Tom Servinsky tompiano@gate.net
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 11:44:12 -0400

David,
Extremely well stated. Kudos!
Setting a dollar value on our work, in my opinion, humbles most of us.  It's
a difficult chore for most to set a value on what they feel their hourly
rate's worth, let alone, not knowing their total operating costs, which many
times, leads to unrealistic financial expectations.  Examples across these
fruited plains exist where small businesses survive on shoe strings.  The
problem is...they don't know it!
  My conscience struggles each time I raise my price. On one hand, I know I
have to increase my income for the obvious reasons.  But on the other hand I
know the raised-eyebrow I'll get from clients who think I'm being a bit too
greedy.
  The thing that always sets me back on the right track is remembering why
many clients still choose to call me back after 20 yrs. .  It's quality and
worth of the service. They appreciate the work and service I provide. They
also understand I have 2 kids in college and 2 more in private school.  They
also understand the vast community outreach we do as a business.  They also
know that I'm constantly attending seminars and extending my education.  It
all adds up.
The best advise I have ever receive with regards to worth was from the good
people from SCORE.  They were very helpful in illustrating what drives a
business to success vs. mere existence.  The corporate world is a lot more
cold-blooded about the bottom line than most of us are.  If the financial
equation doesn't add up, address the problem and fix it. Ignoring the
problem only adds fuel to the fire.  Look at Baldwin.
 Part of SCORE's equation is determining the current worth of the business
than make a wish list as to what you want the worth of the business to be.
Do you want to stay as a sole proprietor, add employees, incorporate
subcontractors, re-tool the shop,have enough left over to take nice
vacations, etc. ?  The equation will determine what you have and what you
can afford.  If the numbers don't add up, change something.  The first thing
to change is usually increasing the hourly charged rate.  Ignoring the signs
for a price increase begins the vicious cycle of failure.
The sad part is  many technicians out there are operation failing businesses
and don't even know it.  SCORE's recommendation was to establish the
infamous business plan, then follow it.  Periodically review it. If
something isn't working, change it. If new expenditures are on the horizon,
plan for it.
I agree with most on this list that the hourly rate should be substantially
higher. The trick is to convince your public on what your worth and
importance is to them.  The rest is academic.
Tom Servinsky,RPT