Protek & Teflon

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 03 Aug 2001 23:15:39 -0500

Hi Ken,
             The big bag for your buck is the knuckles, those 70's knuckles
are
pretty rough.  I'm just rebuilding a D in the shop, and hung a few new, and
improved sample shanks. Then checked UW/DW differences.   7gms bass to 5gms
trebles.
The tefon bushing had so many swings, I thought it was new perpetual motion
type thing <G> So very little friction there. New ones were 5swings.
Over all weight of shanks, within 1gm.
The new knuckles look more like Kangaroo skin than Buck skin, any one know for
sure?  But they have a nice smooth look, and feel. Knuckle height consistent.
The new Steinway parts are very nice, and this set has lived up to the new and
improved hype. Hammers prefiled and pre juiced, seem nicely shaped and quite
firm.   Wippens tavelling and rotation required was on a par with Renner.
2gms
lighter Most weighed between 19.5 and 20gms.  All jacks centered thro' the
balancier slot. Zero adjustment required, yes read zero.
Nice flange screw clearance to allow enough lateral movement for easier
alignment.
The under lever assy, nicely finshed, pretarvelled and spaced.
No obvious splinters on any of the parts.  Seems some one has sharpened the
cutting tools. Joking aside, nicely finished.
The way things look I should be able to remove quite a bit of lead.  (6 leads
in the bass keys.)
In the past I have been one of their harshest critics, if they keep this up I
will have to eat crow,  and will be happy to do it.

Just some extra rambling observations.

regards Roger