Protek & Teflon

Ken Jankura kenrpt@cvn.net
Sat, 4 Aug 2001 01:43:33 -0400

I'm sorry I did not make it clear, but I measured a 5 to 10 gram =
reduction in downweight before I ever tefloned the knuckles, which I =
knew would help a lot. I was just so surprised at the effect the protek =
had on the centers. I didn't take hammers off and swing test 'em, I =
should have, and I will if this comes up again. The piano sat in its box =
in summer humidity since last tuned, from may to july. Maybe the protek =
effected the wood which was squeezing the teflon centers, I don't know. =
But anyway, Roger, I appreciate the ramblings, anytime.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: jolly roger=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, August 04, 2001 12:15 AM
  Subject: Re: Protek & Teflon

  Hi Ken,
               The big bag for your buck is the knuckles, those 70's =
knuckles are pretty rough.  I'm just rebuilding a D in the shop, and =
hung a few new, and improved sample shanks. Then checked UW/DW =
differences.   7gms bass to 5gms trebles.
  The tefon bushing had so many swings, I thought it was new perpetual =
motion type thing <G> So very little friction there. New ones were =
5swings.
  Over all weight of shanks, within 1gm.
  The new knuckles look more like Kangaroo skin than Buck skin, any one =
know for sure?  But they have a nice smooth look, and feel. Knuckle =
height consistent.
  The new Steinway parts are very nice, and this set has lived up to the =
new and improved hype. Hammers prefiled and pre juiced, seem nicely =
shaped and quite firm.   Wippens tavelling and rotation required was on =
a par with Renner.  2gms lighter Most weighed between 19.5 and 20gms.  =
All jacks centered thro' the balancier slot. Zero adjustment required, =
yes read zero.=20
  Nice flange screw clearance to allow enough lateral movement for =
easier alignment.
  The under lever assy, nicely finshed, pretarvelled and spaced.
  No obvious splinters on any of the parts.  Seems some one has =
sharpened the cutting tools. Joking aside, nicely finished.
  The way things look I should be able to remove quite a bit of lead.  =
(6 leads in the bass keys.)
  In the past I have been one of their harshest critics, if they keep =
this up I will have to eat crow,  and will be happy to do it.

  Just some extra rambling observations.

  regards Roger

  At 10:29 PM 8/3/01 -0400, you wrote:=20

      I service a S&S D at a local college, and recently the pianist =
complained of
    heavy touch. It's a '72 teflon, and the downweight was around 70, =
upweight
    around 30 or so. I used Protek on an experimental hammer center or =
two and
    measured a 5 to 10 gram reduction in downweight. Has anyone run into =
this
    before? I lubed all centers and used teflon on the knuckles and all =
was well
    (all things considered). The pianist called to say how happy she was =
and what a miraculous job I had done making the piano playable again. =
What gives?
    Ken Jankura
    Newburg, PA