safety/idiots and sharp objects

Susan Kline sckline@home.com
Sat, 04 Aug 2001 00:03:54 -0700

At 12:02 AM 08/04/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>I am terrible with strings.  I don't know what it is, but I can't seem to
>figure out how to back the pin out enough to get the string off and restrung
>so the coil is nice and tight, also, I always bust three knuckles and slice
>a finger open during the process of fixing one string.

Do you make a coil first with a crank and a dummy tuning pin, and
then transfer it to the real (backed off) pin? Do you have a good coil
lifter in place as you bring up the pitch? Do you take the time to
squeeze the becket a couple of times as the string starts
to take on tension? Do you tap the coil down as well as pull it up?

etc.

I've found that wire has memory: the very first experience of bending
that you give it should be a good tight initial becket bend, followed
by a good tight three turns, with the wire lying neatly on the dummy
pin. If it starts life messy, it will resist your efforts to make
it a good citizen.

Well, that's what I've found ...

Susan

P.S. My favorite is holding the dummy pin as I try to wedge the needlenose
pliers in to take off the fresh coil I've just made ... I push the pliers,
they slip, and hit my left hand, sometimes giving me a blood blister. It
happens the worst with big thick bass strings.