Under an hour tuning (was labor rates)

Sat, 04 Aug 2001 21:33:04 -0500

Terry,

At 19:39 08/04/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>"Concert pianos on stages and console pianos in living rooms are not the same
>kinds of instruments.  I know, for example that when I am going to tune a
>Steinway grand in someone's home, the time I spend will be much more, maybe
>even double."
>
>Is that because a Steinway grand is harder to tune? Do you charge 50% for
>the console? I don't understand your policy here. Please clarify. If my
>auto mechanic did a significantly better tune-up on my neighbor's new
>Lexus than on my 18-year-old car, I would not be happy with him/her at
>all. Is this what is going on here?
>
>Terry Farrell

What we've got going here is an example of the law of diminishing returns.

You can tune your favorite console or spinet over and over again, but there
comes a time when continued effort ceases to produce continued
improvement.  {Flogging a dead horse quickly comes to mind with some...}

Working on a good quality grand is both easier and harder.   If you are an
aural tuner you know that what you need to hear is easier to hear, but this
also means that any inaccuracies which may creep in _also_ are easier to
hear.

What to do... ?

The best you can on the instrument in front of you, of course!!!    That's
what they pay you to do.

If your old car has worn valves and maybe uneven compression, your mechanic
can do the best job possible with timing, new sparkplugs, etc, but it's
still going to idle/run uNevEnly.   Were you cheated because your 18yr old
car doesn't run as smoothly as that new Lexus?  I don't think so...

Conrad Hoffsommer -  Decorah, IA  (563)-382-8525

Usually I try to take it one day at a time, but lately several have
attacked me at once...